As the Pharmacist, you will lend expertise and support for the assessment, management, and follow-up of particular physicians who are identified in need of further performance enhancement related to their prescribing. You will work as a team member with Senior Medical Advisors and Directors from the various competence programs to ensure that members of the College remain competent throughout their careers.
Gather and analyze information regarding a physician’s prescribing of specific medications, including methadone, and determine if College follow up is required
Analyze information from electronic databases and other sources to assess prescribing trends or issues in Alberta
- Prepare summaries and recommendations on findings
- Review physician responses to College queries about prescribing of specific medications and address as required
- Respond to telephone calls and correspondence regarding medication prescribing questions received from physicians, pharmacists, other health professionals or members of the public
- Intervene as needed with physicians referred from complaints and other competence programs
- Participate in CPSA projects related to prescribing
- Liaise with other provincial and national Colleges regarding physician assessment, performance standards, prescribing practices, and competency enhancement strategies in order to assist with the evolution to national standards in these areas, and ensure best practice in the delivery of the College’s competence programs
- Provide education, support and counsel for physicians performing competence assessments on behalf of the College
- Engage external stakeholders with the requisite expertise to develop local competency enhancement programs to which the College can refer physicians to obtain the tools they need to improve performance
- Participate in various research studies within the various competence programs at the College aimed at creating/confirming evidence of best practice and positive physician impact towards prescribing practice improvement
Specialized professional skills typically obtained through a Bachelor's degree plus professional certificate in area of specialty or equivalent, or additional classes in specialized area
- BSc Pharmacy in good standing with the Alberta College of Pharmacists
Requirement for 5 to 8 years of related experience
Broad medical knowledge with a minimum of 5 years clinical experience
- Requires superior verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interest in quality improvement and quality assurance programs with an educational focus
- Strong interest in the development and delivery of remedial programs designed to improve physician performance
- Parking/Transit Benefit
- Personal Time Off (PTO)
- 3 weeks vacation in first year
- 4 weeks vacation in second year
- 5 weeks vacation in seventh year
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Record Check satisfactory to the College.
This posting is open until a suitable candidate is found.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the College; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
By applying to this position, you are confirming you possess either a Canadian Citizenship, permanent resident status, or valid work permit.
Interested? We want to hear from you! Apply at www.cpsa.ca today!